Saturday 19 September 2015

LOVE on WHEELS


Reuben Griffiths Bekoe

Every time I hear of cycling, the only thing that comes to mind is "Tour de France". However, this young man is no where near France, he's having his own tour, for a special cause, right here in Ghana. I met him at Barcamp Cape Coast 15, an event which was aimed at equipping youth with relevant skills, held at the University of Cape Coast, in Cape Coast, Ghana. Read on to find out the cause he's riding for.

Hello, I know you're Reuben, but what's your full name?
 I’m Reuben Griffiths Bekoe.
So what motivated you to raise funds for cleft?
The Ghana Cleft Foundation is doing a great job which I thought would be wise to help the organization by fundraising for them. I volunteered with Latitude ICS UK for 3 months in Cape Coast, so from what I learnt on the field, it was time for me to give back to my society. So that's why I chose to ride for the foundation.  Furthermore, restoring the smiles of these children is a great motivation.
Why did u choose cycling? Is it fueled by your passion for cycling?
I chose to cycle because it will help me understand what's happening (because when I’m riding, I can stop at anytime to listen to the stories of others and share it.) There's much freedom too when cycling and I have love for it. A young man walked from Tampa, Florida to their capital so that challenged me to do my best, plus if I complete this ride, I'll be the first to cycle across Ghana.
You mentioned Latitudes ICS UK, what is it about and can you give a little summary on your experience with them?
International Citizen Service (ICS) is a UK government funded development programme that brings together young people to make a difference in some of the poorest communities around the world.
It enables those aged 18 to 25 and above to contribute to a programme of international development and to gain valuable personal development and learning through volunteering abroad. During my time, I understood more about development and how I can do my best to help. During my 3 months I helped with my team to organize job fair, I also taught children and this made me care more and be more patriotic.
Reuben's bestie on the road
So what are some of the challenges facing the average Ghanaian who has cleft?
Stigmatization! Since people have less or no education about the deformities they tend to hid rather than to seek medical assistance. Some think it cannot be treated so they live in their ignorance.
How bad is the stigmatization? Have you witnessed any?
Talking with people with the cleft palate deformities, they have low self esteem and people who have little or no knowledge about it shun them.
How do you raise the funds by cycling?
Fundraising is a very new thing to many people in Ghana, which makes it very challenging. I tell people about what I am doing when I meet them on the road and I also post on my social media platforms (Facebook & Twitter).
How's it been, has it been encouraging?
Not so much but I am making some progress. I know people will see what I am doing and support.
So how much do you hope to raise?
I want to raise 6,000 Ghana Cedis. I wanted to raise 15,000 initially but from the way things are going, I'll stick to the 6,000.
How far have you rode & how much have you made so far?
I have ridden more than 160 km from Tarkwa to Cape Coast (2 regions covered so far)and raised almost 300 Ghana Cedis during that period.
What are some of the lessons you've learned so far to improve upon yourself as you target the 8 remaining regions of Ghana? 
Reuben's ready for the next regions
I have learnt to be specific and work more on myself and the project. Also I must take care of what I eat. For the 8 regions it will be a little challenging but I believe I can handle it.
Which region is your next stop?
Greater Accra, from there I’ll head to the Volta region.
When someone reads this and wants to donate, how would they do so?
Send your donations to Ecobank A/C 0213074414843601 (Kumasi branch) or Mobile money number 0263161964. You can also dial *718*30*3# and make your pledge. On-line donations can be made at igg.me/at/GFnH-h31Zoo
All donations go to the Ghana Cleft Foundation. This was made possible by Airtel Ghana.


Awesome, so finally, what would you want to say to our readers?
I would like everyone to know that everything is possible. Let’s believe in our dreams and ride to our destination. Also it doesn't take much to make dreams come true, lets help with our little donations to help restore a smile.
It's been an immense pleasure talking to you. Wish you all the best in your endeavors, safe and Godspeed.
Thank you.
Selfie! From left to right, Ekow (Blogger), Herbert (Reuben's PR) & Reuben

4 comments:

  1. Journalistic standard.. Citizen Journalism at its best. Am inspired by Reuben. Lets Donate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an amazing story and a great course to raise money for, God bless you. Really good interview Ekow, keep up the good work, super proud of you.

    ReplyDelete